Car Starter Not Working? Our mechanics will come to you
Our certified mechanics come to you · Backed by 12-month / 20,000 km gold standard warranty program.
8AM - 6PM Monday to Saturday
Car Starter Not Working Service
How much does a Car Starter Repair cost?
Usually, the cost for replacing the car starter ranges from $300 to $600 varying on the vehicle. Commonly, domestic and Japanese vehicles are on the lower end of the scale while European vehicles can cost up to $1000 to replace the starter. Feel free to give us a call or request a quote online to get an exact price for your particular vehicle.
Fast and easy service at your home
Backed by 12-month, 20,000-km guarantee
What is a Car Starter and how does it normally work?
In order to start the engine, the car starter is a powerful, compact electric motor that will turn a car’s engine over at about 200 RPM. The starter is at the terminus of a circuit which includes a neutral safety switch, the battery, the ignition switch, fuses and relays.
The starter circuit is completed and the starter will run when you turn the ignition key to start, or press the start button in some vehicles.
How to know when to replace the car starter?
Starters are relatively sturdy but most will eventually fail in one or more of the following ways:
- Irregular operation of the starter. Starters can develop bad spots on the armature which will cause irregular operation. Sometimes, this causes the starter to work and other times nothing happens when you turn the key.
- Starter turns too slowly. Internal mechanical and electrical faults can cause the starter to draw too much current and in some cases, the current drawn will surpass what the battery can supply. The engine may not start as rapidly as a result.
- Unusual noises on starting. If you hear any type of grinding or other unusual noise while starting the engine, that must be inspected as the noise could indicate an internal starter failure or the noise could be a result of pinion gear failure or flywheel ring gear damage.
- Starter doesn’t work when turning the key. The first symptom of a starter malfunction, in some cases, is a total failure of the starter motor. This occurs when you turn the ignition key to start the car, the starter motor does not work at all.
How do mechanics repair a starter not working?
- The battery must be disconnected before beginning any work if the starter is determined to be faulty. Once the battery is disconnected, the wiring to the starter is disconnected.
- Starters are fastened to the engine block or the transmission case. Usually, there are two bolts. The procedure to access the starter depends across car models and can entail removal, or lowering of other vehicle components.
- The mounting bolts are tightened to the OEM factory torque specifications, the electrical connections are cleaned and re-attached to the starter and the starter is tested to confirm normal operation once the starter is removed and a new starter is installed.
Is it safe to drive with a car starter not working?
The starter is not in use once a vehicle engine is running. However, if you know that the starter is malfunctioning or working irregularly, you may found yourself stranded if you turn the engine off and the starter doesn’t work when restarting the engine. Should you suspect or know a problem with the starter, it is best to have the problem fixed to avoid being left stranded.
Car Starter Not Working Service Reviews
"The company responds within an hour and dispatches a mechanic shortly after with all the tools and parts required to repair the vehicle onsite."-GLOBE AND MAIL
Fiat Car Starter Not Working
Chevrolet Car Starter Not Working
Smart Car Starter Not Working
Toyota Car Starter Not Working
Mazda Car Starter Not Working
Mini Car Starter Not Working
Cadillac Car Starter Not Working
Porsche Car Starter Not Working
Saturn Car Starter Not Working
Mercury Car Starter Not Working
Jaguar Car Starter Not Working
Volvo Car Starter Not Working
Chrysler Car Starter Not Working
Jeep Car Starter Not Working
Local Car Starter Not Working Service in Your Area
Other Popular Services
Valve Cover Gasket Leak
Timing Belt Replacement
Water Pump Replacement
Engine Knocking Sound
Car Making Clicking Noise When Driving
Steering Wheel Vibration